Monday, April 19, 2010

Graduation of Japanese students

On March 20, on Saturday in the afternoon I went to the Japanese student’s graduation ceremony at Kansai Gaidai. I could see how they dress and how they relate with other students, including the international students. And finally how happy the Japanese students were about their graduation. I will try to describe some of this experience here.

Before came to Japan I thought that would see everyday women, young, adults, olds, wearing kimono. Now that I live here for few months I know that it is not what happens. I can see sometimes one or another but not as I saw at the graduation. Most of the graduate students were wearing kimono, each one with some kind of detail, or accessory that distinguish their style.



When I arrived with my friends, an American and a Kenyan, it was the beginning of the ceremony. First we went to the cafeteria and there were a bunch of tables with food, which everyone who was participating could eat. This was the first time of interaction between international students and Japanese people, including professors. There were sandwiches, strawberries, cakes, chicken, etc. After we service our self we went to a small ‘’hill’ and eat.


From this ''hill'' I could take some pictures.

I observed that the most of male graduated students were with flowers, probably to give to the female graduates.

The other part of interaction with Japanese students was at the group photo.


We were taking pictures of them, and they invite us to participate of the collective picture.



Few days after this day, a Japanese student met me on “facebook” and I found some pictures of the graduation day on her album.

1 comment:

  1. This was an excellent choice for a post. Graduation is a great opportunity for taking photos and experiencing university culture. Kimonos and Avatar - can't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete